Thursday, September 21, 2006

Next station... Wierd-skya.


Traffic lights and bus stops. Metro cars and drunk guys. Broken watermelons and bloody heads.

This is the official launch of my Adventures from the Metro. I have been living and working in Moscow for the last few months, and have a few more months left here before my internship is completed. Every day something funny/stupid/scary/exciting happens to me as I navigate the public transportation system in this huge city.

Some interesting facts about transport in Moscow:
  • On a normal weekday it carries 8.2 million passengers.
  • There are 172 active stations.
  • 278.8km of railway. (about 173 miles)
  • Commercial cruising speed of 41.6 km/h. (about 26 mph)
Find out more about the Moscow Metro at Wikipedia.

Bus Schedule Shenanigans

My last interesting encounter was very near my flat. I live in a nicer, mostly Russian area. The buildings are nice enough, but were probably built in the late 60's. I was at the bus stop, heading home, and I had paused to write down the bus times for the very bus I got just gotten off. I was listening to some Project 86 on my Creative MP3 player, when this man staggers up to me seemingly out of nowhere.

He mumbles something completely inaudible to me. I know, I don't speak very good Russian, but I can usually at least make out the words, even if I frequently do not understand them. I had no idea what this man just spit out. But, I did notice one thing immediately... he had a nasty road rash-esque cut that had taken over his left side of his face. It was juicy... not openly bleeding, but very gross.

I told him in Russian, that I understand poorly in Russian, then asked him if he spoke any English. He simply grunted in response, turned, and staggered away. When he turned... I saw that the back of his head was also matted in blood. The back of his head had suffered a worse injury then his face, he had a gash that was clearly visible through his bloody mat of hair.

I had no idea how to help this man. He was walking, albeit unsteadily, and there was a language barrier that was insurmountable, if he had been speaking clearly and slowly... but in his drunken and/or injured slurs... I was lost.

I sort of watched him walk away for a minute, finished writing my schedule down, then turned to follow him a little bit and make sure he didn't stumble out into traffic, because he surely would have been plowed by a suicidal taxi driver. Only, when I turned to find him... he was gone. As quickly as he had stumbled up out of nowhere, he stumbled away into nowhere...

7 comments:

susan said...

And I used to just get hit on at the Moscow stops ... so sad ...

Stacie said...

The real question is...maybe the guy is related to watermelon dude, and was wanting to know his address?

susan said...

WHO is watermelon dude? Did you meet him on the Athens bus?

Christopher Warren said...

... alas... after I post this article, nothing exciting happens for several days.

So, unless I have an adventure tomorrow morning while taking Yuri to the airport (entirely possible, since I will be with Stacie), then I will post about the Watermelon Man.

susan said...

I wait with baited breath

Christopher Warren said...

baited breath or bated breath?

Check this article out. ;]

susan said...

both?